Monday, January 12, 2009

You've Got Mail


I LOVED Jennifer's card when I found it. Of course, CASING it turned out to be a bit of a challenge for me... you don't want to know how long this card took me! First of all, I don't have Nesties in the heart shape. I also don't have the Quickutz envelope die.

I was quite pleased with myself when I easily made the envelope shape using my trial version of the Cricut Design Studio and the George cartridge. I just welded a rounded corner rectangle with a rounded corner triangle. If anyone wants the cut file just e-mail me and I'll send it to you.

The scalloped heart didn't turn out to be so easy. First of all the hearts with the George cartridge are not perfect hearts - both are a little more funky. They are not scalloped and they also do not "nest". I tried making a larger white heart and cutting it with my Fiskar's small scallop scissors, but that did not go well. The only other cartridge I have is the Mini-Monograms and it doesn't have a heart on it.

I scoured the Internet, but did not come up with a cut file for a scalloped heart. I was "this close" to buying the Sure Cuts A Lot program to use to make a scalloped heart when I decided to try and venture out a little more on my own while CASING Jennifer's card. I'm happy to say that I'm pleased with my end result.

I think I really want the Sure Cuts A Lot program, but I don't want to spend the money right now and I realy want to make sure that the program will do all the things that I dream it will do. Unfortunately I downloaded the trial version of the program but didn't play enough with it before the the tiral ran out. While I have used the Cricut Design Studio quite a bit, I think the Sure Cuts A Lot program is a better program because you don't have to buy all the Cricut cartridges. I also find the CDS program a little frustrating because I can't always input the size values I want and I have difficulties selecting shapes onces I have placed them on the mat. Does anybody else have those programs? I won't complain too much as I'm using the program for free (trial version) and it has given me more opportunities to use my Cricut, which at one point I wondered if I should have bought.
The card also looked great without the Nestie's scalloped oval and "Love You" sentiment, but I decided I wanted to mail this one to my mom. She gave me the Nestablities ovals and scalloped oval for Christmas so I wanted to use them on a card for her. She is down in Yuma until April and we talk almost everyday on MSN. At the end of our converstations we always say "Love You", so I needed to have that sentiment on her card. I know that I said this card was made for my mom for Valentine's, but I think I'll send this one to her instead. I can use the other one for either my sister-in-law's or my step-sister's birthday - both of them are in February.

I also tried a trick that I had read somewhere about using acrylic stamps. I inked my stamp with VersaMark before using it with the SU Chocolate Chip ink. It worked much better than when I used the SU ink alone. It is quite crisp and solid - especially considering I stamped it on textured card stock.

Thanks for looking,
Kim

SU Card Stock - Whisper White, Chocolate Chip, Riding Hood Red textured c/s, Pink Pirouette textured c/s
SU Designer Paper - Riding Hood Red
SU Ink - VersaMark and Chocolate Chip
Stamps - Studio G ($1 Stamp from Michael's)
Accessories - 5/8" Striped Grosgrain Ribbon in Riding Hood Red, D'Vine Swirls Cuttlebug Embossing Folder, Cricut, Cricut Design Studio, Nestablities, Stampin' Dimensionals (for the oval)
Measurements
5 1/2" Whisper White Card Base
5" Chocolate Chip Square
4 1/4" Pink Piroutee Square - I cut the 3" heart from this square to save paper
4" Designer Paper Square
3" Heart

0 comments: