Saturday, January 08, 2011

Winter Birthday

When I saw Heather's card last night, I just HAD to duplicate it for my niece's birthday card.  The only problem was that I don't have snowflake stamps that are the right size for this layout.  When I woke up at 4:30!!!!! this morning I pondered going to the nearest stamping store (25 minutes of highway driving), but really thought that I was being a bit impulsive.  I then thought I'd find out if my two stamping friends had snowflake stamps, but knew I had better wait until a much more reasonable hour.  And then it hit me - I could use my Cricut to create snowflakes instead! 
Thanks to my Cricut, Sure Cuts A Lot software and a free svg of snowflakes from My Cricut Scrapbooking, I eventually came up with a card.  I really like Heather's clear embossed tiles, but when I tried to duplicate it, it made my snowflakes quite yellow.  I'm not sure if it is because of my embossing powder or if it is because I was embossing on white paper snowflakes rather than white embossed snowflakes.  Does anybody have any words of wisdom?

When I was going to comment on Heather's card, I noticed Chrissie's comment stating that she had done her own version.  I also checked that one out and it is quite lovely and worth having a peak at!  So, I decide to try again and this is what I came up with:

I'm to too thrilled with the pictures of these cards.  I think they look better in real life.  There is a scored line on the top and the bottom of the navy panel that you can't see in the picture and you can't tell that the squares on the second card are popped up.  I wish I could figure out how to take better pictures of cards - especially on these drab winter days!

Thanks for looking,
Kim
Card Stock - SU - Whisper White, Night of Navy, PTI Stamper's Select White (base of the second card)
SU Ink - Lavender Lace, Brocade Blue, Night of Navy, VersaMark
Stamps - PTI - Through the Trees
Accessories - Foam Tape (second card)

2 comments:

Chrissie said...

Kim,
Thank you so much for your kind comments about my Holly card and for the link to it from your blog.
Your cards are great, and your lateral thinking in making the snowflakes with your Cricut was inspired.
I would find it difficult to choose which is my favourite.
As you know I find Heather's work totally inspirational and sometimes use an idea rather than a complete 'case' of her cards.
I'll pop back again!
Chrissie

Heather T said...

I am so glad you gave this technique a try. I am not sure what the answer is with the embossing turning yellow. I know the colour altered a little on mine too.
Very clever to put the cricut to use to get your snowflakes; I like both cards.