Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Wishing You the Best

The idea for this card is from Kristina Werner's MACM (Make a Card Monday). I have been checking out her blog for a month or so now, loving what she creates, but not being daring enough to try anything!



I am so excited about this card. Not just because I like how it looks, but because I was able to use my Costco ribbon, patterned paper and cardstock and my Cricut! I bought the paper and card stock a few years ago because it was a good price... then I became more picky with my card making. The cardstock is not as heavy as Stampin' Up so it is only really good for layering. I love the ribbon, but was disappointed to find out that it only has he pattern on one side. Plus, I found that I had a harder time matching the colours of the cardstock, patterned paper and ribbon with anything else I owned. Until I become more confident in the whole cardmaking thing, I think I'll stick to Stampin' Up for now because at least I know everything will coordinate...

I got my Cricut over a year ago thinking I would save so much money by not buying punches. I haven't used it a ton and have even considered selling it. Today I was so happy to find a use for it. I used it for the turquoise circle and for the letters in "BEST". I could have also have used it for the white circle, but I wanted to only cut a partial circle so I could use a scrap piece of white. I used my Orbis Circle Scissor, another cool tool that I haven't used very much. I used my Marvy circle punch (3/4") for the scalloped circles. I could have also used the Cricut for those, but I thought it would be quicker with the punch.

Here's my second attempt with the card. The letters in "BEST" were made thicker by using the shadow feature and I printed "Wishing You the..." on the computer. I also used dimensionals to raise the flower up like Kristina did because the scallop edge creases over the ribbon.
I also used a fine glue pen for the BEST letters as it was tough cleaning up the glue on the first card.


Card Base: Whisper White (SU) 4 1/4" x 11" scored at 5 1/2" and folded in half
Ribbon: Costco from April 2007
Flower: Turquoise Circle - Costco CS - cut with Cricut at 3 1/2 "
White Circle - SU Whisper White - cut at 75 mm or about 3 1/8"
Green Scallops - Costco Paper - punched with 3/4" punch
BEST: cut with Cricut "George and Basic Shapes" at 1" (Second Attempt 1" Shadow)

0 comments: