Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Happy Birthday with Scalloped Border


I have to keep reminding myself that I'm spending time making cards this summer to learn and improve my skills. I get great joy (and inspiration) from reading a number of blogs, but sometimes I find it rather depressing that my skill level (and supply level) are nowhere near that of the stampers I admire! Then I remind myself that I will only get better by continuing to work at it.
I started this blog to keep a journal of my progress. Today I wonder if I can also use it as a way to learn. I'm hoping that by posting some of my struggles with this card, somebody will share some of what they've learned that might help me.

My inspiration for this card came from Dallas's second card on this blog entry. I love the simplicity of the card as well as the colours which were for Kristina's Color Challenge. But, I don't have most of those colours, so I had to come up with something on my own...

What do I see as the positives with this card? I'm pleased that I was able to figure out how to use my Cricut and the trial version of the Cricut Design Studio to create my own scallop border. I had downloaded a cut file for a scalloped border a few weeks ago, but it has one inch scallops which are too big for this card. To be able to look at that file, I had to learn how to change the date on the file. If anybody else has that problem, go to Susan BlueRobot's blog for instructions on how to correct the problem. So, I figured out how to make my own with 1/2" scallops and it was quite easy! Yahoo! I've downloaded the Sure Cuts A Lot program and Inkscape and plan to play with them before I decide to buy a program.


I like the colours of the card, and that I was able to use some more of my Costco DP, cardstock and ribbon!

What were my struggles with this card? I could not dry emboss with my Crop-o-dile. It always left a little crinkle in the paper below the embossing. I think it was because Costco cardstock is thinner than SU cardstock. Unfortunately, I'm out of Only Orange {SIGH} so I had to give up the idea of dry embossing.
I'm also not pleased with the quality of the stamping of the sentiment. I used a clear stamp from Studio G (from Michael's). I think it is because the font is thick and it doesn't stamp as well with SU ink. I've tried using a white eraser to clean the stamp, but the ink still beads up on the stamp. One positive thing about the clear stamps that I noticed is it allowed me to try different sentiments on the card and see how they would look before I stamped them.

I'd be happy to hear from anybody who has suggestions to help me out!

Kim

Cardstock - Costco
Paper - Costco
SU Ink - Only Orange
Stamp - Studio G
Ribbon - Costco
Accessories - White Gelly Roll Gel Pen, Crop-0-Dile

0 comments: