Sunday, July 12, 2009

Enjoy the Moment

I find masculine cards to be quite the challenge. I didn't know what to do for my nephew-in-law's birthday, but I knew I didn't want to do trees or stars as it seems that is all I have done lately for the males in my life. I was blogsurfing this morning and came across this card by Vicki, which I used as my starting point.

My original plan was to use three hats using Real Red and Brilliant Blue. The only problem was that for the life of me, I can't see to get a crisp image with my clear stamps and SU ink. If anybody has any helpful suggestions, please pass them on. I've tried everything - conditioning the stamps, stamping with VersaMark first, but they always turn out like this:
I decided to go back to my FAVOURITE ink for clear stamps - VersaFine. Since I only have it in Black Onyx, there was no choice to be made. When I got out my stamps, I liked the three candles so I decided to change from three hats to two hats and the candles. Of course, the candles didn't fit on the same size circle as the hats, so that changed the card even more.
I also decided to change my colour scheme just because I had Kiwi Kiss and Pacific Point cardstock nearby and I might as well use it up as it is now retired. When I glued the candle circle on, I really liked the look of the card so I took a picture in case I need a quick card one day. Which one do you like better?

Thanks for looking,
Kim

P.S. - I used my Cricut and Sure Cuts A Lot software to make the circles. I LOVE that program!

Party Hats - 1", 1.25" and 1.5"
Candles - 1.25", 1.5" and 1.75"

Card Stock - PTI - Stamper's Select White, SU Kiwi Kiss Textured, SU Pacific Point Textured
Ink - VersaFine Black Onyx
Stamps - PTI -
Mixed Messages, Studio G $1.50 stamps from Michael's (I'm from Canada so no $1 stamps for me!)
Accessories - Stampin Dimensionals

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I love that card! I have not had any luck with clear stamps and SU ink, either, unfortunately. I use Memento ink, Colorbox Chalk or Brilliance and they all seem to work pretty well. Sometimes the ink will adhere better after using some of the Colorbox chalk, and sometimes it depends on the paper, too. The image will look splotchy at first but will blend together in a few minutes on a really smooth paper.

LaurieF said...

Fantastic cards! I love the simple, clean layouts and great color combo.