Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Fifth Avenue Red

I started out with plans to CASE this card by Carol Lee. I just got the Fifth Avenue Floral stamp set for Christmas and I knew I wanted to use it for my sister-in-law's birthday card. Her favourite colour is red and Carol Lee's card is just perfect! Things weren't going as planned so I decided to try out my new Elegant Bouquet embossing folder that I also received as a Christmas gift and I ended up with the above card. I love PTI's Stamper's Select White for card bases, but I don't think it goes through the embossing folders as well as SU's Whisper White.

I still had the designer paper strip and real red card stock and ribbon piece, so I decided to give Carol Lee's card another try. I learned a few years ago to use whisper white craft ink with white embossing powder, but I noticed that it wasn't really smooth - it looked a bit like stitches. I decided to emboss three more flowers, but use VersaMark instead. That produced smoother embossing, but when you cut the flowers out (and oh how I LOVE to cut out little tiny things - NOT!), sometimes the embossing flakes off. It is less noticeable if you have stamped with the white craft ink first. So, if I'm cutting things out that have been embossed with white embossing powder, I am going to use craft ink, if I'm not cutting out, I am going to use VersaMark. Here is how my card turned out:

I decided to play around with it a bit more and added another flower that is raised with dimensionals. I also trimmed the ribbon a bit more:
In real life, I think I like the card with four flowers better, but in the pictures, I think I like the three flowered one better! What do you think?

My husband picked the first card to send to his sister so I'll save the other one for someone else or for Debbie next year! :)

Thanks for looking,
Kim

Card Stock - PTI Stamper's Select White, SU Real Red
SU Designer Paper - Pink Flamingo

Stamps - SU - Fifth Avenue Florals, SU - Warmest Regards, PTI - Faux Ribbon
Ink - SU - Real Red, VersaFine - Black Onyx
Accessories - Whisper White Embossing Powder, oval and scalloped oval Nestabilities, Stampin' Dimensionals, Elegant Bouquet embossing folder, Offray white satin ribbon from Wal-Mart, red satin ribbon from my stash

0 comments: